All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Monday, December 26, 2016

2016...What a Year! #mzurloauthor

2016 has proven to be quite a year. From the political upheaval to the seemingly extraordinary losses of public personalities, "unexpected" is an apt description for 2016.


Resolutions don't work for me. I can't tell you how many times I've resolved to get in shape or get out of the house more. It sometimes lasts a couple of months at most. I've come to accept that I'm just not a very social person, and I'm not someone who enjoys working out. However, I am goal-oriented. So at the start of the 2016, I set some goals.

I wanted to put myself out there more professionally. To that end, when an opening came up at RB4U, I jumped at the chance to join this coalition of talented authors. This has let me connect with some great people. I even stepped outside of my comfort zone to write a cowboy shifter romance, Bear Country, for the RB4U Roping the Cowboy anthology.

Early in 2016, I participated in the Dominant Persuasions anthology put together by Lori King. I contributed Yes, Justin to that, a novella to which the rights had reverted to me.

I launched a new series, SAFE Security, with the first installment called Treasure Me. Taking another chance there, the story is written in 1st person, and the series is going to follow one couple instead of featuring a new couple in every book. So far, it's been well-received.

There were some goals I didn't achieve this year, namely participating in a conference. I'd wanted to travel to Minneapolis to participate in MBLU, but my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and I needed to stay close to home. It's been a rollercoaster since September. Next week, we'll find out if she needs more treatment or if she's in the clear for now.


In 2017, I want to make it to a conference. The introvert in me was terrified to travel so far away from home for my first conference, so I have to confess that I wasn't too upset by not attending MBLU (also, I have been very preoccupied with my mom's health.) I may try to stay closer to home and try out the Rust City Convention, which takes place not far from where I hang my hat. It's also in the summer, which is the perfect time of the year for me.

As I've made a ton of changes in 2016, including keeping up with regular new posts on my blog, I don't want to add too much to 2017. The other thing I want to do is read more. Confession time: I'm not a big reader. I used to be, but after I started writing, I seemed to stop reading. My goal this coming year is to read!

Are you a resolution maker, goal-setter, or neither?
Happy New Year! --with love, Michele Zurlo

6 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

For the past several years I've resolved to write at least 1,000 words a day. That usually lasts through February. Most of us don't keep resolutions. I hope you get to a conference this year. I'm thinking of going to RWA since it's in Florida, less than 2 hours away by air. But I'm scared of going alone. I understand your fear of conferences.

Best wishes for a productive year for you!

Tina Donahue said...

Great quote by Michelangelo - and so true.

Michele Zurlo said...

Cara--I wish I had regular writing time! I'm happy if I can write a couple days each week when I'm working.

Paris said...

Michele,

Great post! While I strive to keep the goals that I set for myself, the past couple of years have taught me to take life as it comes. Wishing you and your family the best and I hope you're able to attend a conference this year.

jean hart stewart said...

Loved the Michelangelo quote and had never heard it. Thanks for an interesting blog.

Melissa Keir said...

I can't make goals for myself. Life has a way of messing things up. I fit in what I can when I can...and try to enjoy as much time as I can with loved ones. Their time is always so short!

Share buttons