All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Final Push for The Nanowrimo by Janice Seagraves

Final Push for the Nanowrimo 
by Janice Seagraves 


With only a few days left of the Nanowrimo, it's time for the final push. Unless you already finished, most will want to put their writing into high gear and pull all-nighters to make up the word count.

Here’s some tips from me. These techniques can also work for you if you’re trying to finish a manuscript:

Give yourself permission to write a sloppy first draft: we’re writing for speed here. Write sloppy and forget grammar until December first.

Time yourself: You can set a clock for twenty minutes and write as fast as you can until the alarm goes off.

Write a hundred words at a time: I've done this quite a bit and it works well. When the clock is ticking down to midnight and you want to get your words in as fast as possible. Leave the Nanowrimo website open and keep yourself logged in. Then write a hundred words at a time and post it. Seeing the numbers go up helps to keep you encouraged to write more.

Introduce a monster, a murderer or a natural disaster. Nothing makes the word count add up than danger.

Change genres: If you’re working on suspense change it to romance. If you're writing romance add some horror elements, or mystery, or paranormal. How about werewolves in space or a vampire? I've seen it done.

Take a page from the Soap Operas: Add a missing or unknown twin, or a secret baby, or have one of the characters get shot. Hey, it worked well for Larry Hagman’s (J.R. Ewing) career.

Take a chance and go for it!

---------------------------------------------------
Janice Seagraves's website: http://janiceseagraves.org/
Janice Seagraves's blog: http://ladyjanice.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I've never tried this. What do you, personally, get out of it? Does it help you to focus (plot)? Does it get you past writer's block?

Paris said...

Kudos to you for sticking to your plan and sharing all your advice. I've done this with first drafts after first outlining the book and it works very well. Good Luck!

Adele Dubois said...

I haven't tried Nonowritmo, because I have a regular writing schedule. The challenge of writing 50K in a month seems to work for some people. Glad you had a good experience.

Best--Adele

Sandy said...

Congrats for sticking with NaNo, Janice.

Nicole Morgan said...

I have never tried Nanowritmo but always kick myself every time I hear people talking about it.

Congrats on your efforts. :)

Katalina Leon said...

Best wishes Janice on that final mile. I hope you're loving the work!

jean hart stewart said...

I'm gonna go with Tina. Have always wondered why anyone does this? I really want to know....

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Tina,

It's a challenge to write fast and furious. Also it's a blast to do.

Hi Paris,

Your welcome. :)

Hi Adele,

I love it. It's a heady thing to write a 50K book in a month.

Hi Sandy,

Thank you.

Hi Nicole,

Thank you.

Hi Katalina,

Oh, I am. I'll have a rough draft finished in just a few more days.

Hi Jean,

It's fun, but it's also a lot of hard work. Anyone can do it, professional writers and amateurs alike, if your up to the challenge.

That's the reason I do it. The challenge.

Janice~

Carrie Ann Ryan said...

I do my own version of NaNo where I do it in two weeks instead of four because of my writing schedule. I love it because it gets people together to do something amazing-writing.

Anonymous said...

Great tips Janice. I've participated in and won Nano the past two years. it's not as easy as people think, lol. Especially when your inner critic keeps screaming to go back and change everything mid way.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Carrie Ann,

Wow, you writer faster than I do. :)

Hi Kitty,

Yeah, that happens to me too. I have to tell my inner critic to shut up.

Janice~

LKF said...

I love your hints and this year I need it, I'm sprinting to the end. Had a computer disaster and had over 10,000 words deleted. But I'm still in it. Keep the coffee coming and the lights burning. My words might be jumbled together, but they will be on the paper and get me past my goal. Good luck Janice. I'll see you at the finish line.
Lynda

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Lynda,

I love your can do attitude. Sorry about your crashed computer, but I'm glad your not letting it slow you down.

See you at the finish line!

Janice~

Share buttons