All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Goals for 2012

2012 is coming up fast.  Where does the time go?  I didn't accomplish anywhere near all the things I wanted to in 2011 and now it's time to make New Year's resolutions again.

Okay, when an author sets up goals, they need to be something we have control over.  For instance, don't say you'll contract for the book you are writing right now because you don't have control over the publisher who may or may not buy your story. 

What does an author have control over?  She/he has control over how many words they write a day (sometimes).  I might say I'll write five pages a day, and I can do it until life throws me a curve one day, and I can't write those five pages.  Maybe, it lasts for one day, two weeks, months or the rest of the year.  So you see we have control over the amount of words we write under normal circumstances but if something unexpected happens you lose control. 

Even though events happen beyond our power never give up.  The time will come when you can manage more, and when that time comes be prepared to hit the keys again.  Little by little you can regain control. 

What are your New Year's Resolutions or goals for 2012?  Mine is to finish revising a book I started to revise in 2011 but became so bogged down that I just gave up.  I thought it was too hard, but I know if I just stick with it I can get it revised. 

Best always,

Sandy AKA Sandra K. Marshall
http://www.eirelander-publishing.com
http://www.skaymarshall.com
Author Page on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/author/sandramarshall
Buy links for books at B&N:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-catalyst-sandra-marshall/1029908390?ean=97
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/addiction-sandra-k-marshall/1019317561?ean=29
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-fools-fool-sandra-k-marshall/1105647158?ean=

9 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Sandy, and so true. My 2012 goals are to stretch myself as a writer, to make my novels as good as they can be and to keep at my current pace - 5 pages a day, everyday, except for Christmas. :)

Sandy said...

Thanks for coming by Tina. I know you'll do better than me keeping your goals.

Paris said...

Very timely post, Sandy. I've been thinking about my 2012 goals that I can realistically achieve. I try for 1K words per day and anything over that makes me feel as if I've climbed a mountain, lol! Sometimes that feeling that I've managed more than I thought I could gets me over the humps and the days when my writing gets interrupted.

Best of luck in 2012!

jean hart stewart said...

I'm not setting a word goal,just resolved to write every day. To do my best by my e-mail, and improve, improve my writing as much as I can. By keeping everything in general terms I can't (and won't) let myself down....

derekd said...

Hey Sandy, thought provoking post. For me, I plan on finishing the two that are in process and submit them in the next two months. I also thought I'd stick my toe in the contests waters and see how that goes.

I have an earlier MS that is a bit of a mess I want to clean up, and I plan on two more books that are still marinating plot-wise in my head.

Sandy said...

Thank you, Paris. It's really hard for me to set a word count or page goal. More power to anyone who can.

Sandy said...

Good one, Jean. I'm basically going by what you said.

Derek, all I can say is that you plan to get a lot done. Good luck with your books.

Carla Cassidy said...

Basically my goal for 2012 is just to survive and write as much as possible. that's it...just survive and write!

Sandy said...

Carla, I'm with you there. I hope your life is much better in 2012.

Share buttons